To apply for a spouse visa from India to the USA, you will need to file a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The process typically involves submitting various forms, supporting documents, and meeting specific eligibility requirements, such as proving the authenticity of the marriage. It is advisable to consult the official USCIS website or seek guidance from an immigration attorney for detailed and up-to-date instructions.
So let us take a deeper look
To apply for a spouse visa from India to the USA, there are specific steps and requirements that need to be followed. Here is a detailed explanation of the process:
Determine the Eligibility: The first step is to ensure that you and your spouse meet the eligibility criteria for a spouse visa. This typically involves proving the authenticity of your marriage, such as providing valid marriage certificates, photographs, and evidence of a bona fide relationship.
File the Petition: The next step is to file a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The sponsoring spouse (who is a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident) must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. This form establishes the relationship between the U.S. citizen or permanent resident and the foreign spouse.
Gather Supporting Documents: Along with the I-130 petition, you need to submit various supporting documents. These may include:
Proof of the sponsoring spouse’s U.S. citizenship or permanent residency.
- Proof of the authenticity of the marriage, such as marriage certificates, joint bank account statements, joint lease or property ownership documents, and photographs together.
- Valid passports for both spouses.
- Birth certificates for any children born to the couple.
Affidavits from family and friends attesting to the validity of the marriage.
Pay the Fees: There are filing fees associated with the spouse visa application. The current fee for Form I-130 is $535, which is subject to change. Make sure to check the USCIS website for the most up-to-date fee information.
Wait for Processing: After submitting the petition and supporting documents, USCIS will review and process your application. This process may take several months or longer, and USCIS may request additional documentation or schedule an interview if necessary.
Attend the Visa Interview: Once the petition is approved, the next step is to attend an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in India. The purpose of the interview is to verify the authenticity of the relationship and assess the eligibility of the foreign spouse for the visa.
Quote: “Marriage is not about age; it’s about finding the right person.” – Sophia Bush
- The spouse visa is officially known as the IR-1 or CR-1 visa, depending on whether the sponsoring spouse is a U.S. citizen (IR-1) or a permanent resident (CR-1).
- The average processing time for a spouse visa from India to the USA can vary, but it typically takes around 10-12 months.
- The spouse visa allows the foreign spouse to live and work in the USA permanently and provides a pathway to U.S. citizenship.
- It’s essential to provide substantial evidence of the authenticity of the marriage as USCIS closely scrutinizes applications to prevent fraud.
- The visa interview is a crucial step in the process, and both spouses are required to attend. It’s important to prepare well and bring all necessary documents to support the marriage claim.
|Determine Eligibility||Ensure you meet the criteria for a spouse visa|
|File the Petition||File Form I-130 with USCIS to establish the relationship|
|Gather Supporting Docs||Collect documents proving the authenticity of the marriage|
|Pay the Fees||Submit the required filing fees|
|Wait for Processing||USCIS reviews and processes the application|
|Attend the Visa Interview||Attend an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate|
Watch related video
In the YouTube video titled “Spouse Visa Processing Times (2023)”, Attorney Megan Pastrana discusses the current processing times for spouse visas. On average, it takes around 18 months to complete the entire process, which includes three steps: the petition, the national visa center process, and the interview. The petition stage, where couples prove their genuine relationship, takes about 12 months according to the USCIS website. The national visa center process typically takes a few months, but it can vary. The interview wait time depends on the country of origin, with some countries having longer wait times than others. Pastrana advises couples to be mentally and emotionally prepared for an 18-month wait.
Here are some more answers to your question
To apply for the US Dependent Visa you will have to:
- Fill the digital Form DS -160.
- Pay the fees for H-4 Visa.
- Schedule the appointment for the Visa interview.
- Submit all the documents required for the Visa.
- Attend the interview.
- Obtain the H-4 Visa.