Newlywed on a K-1 Visa? Discover the Ultimate Guide to Navigating Life After Marriage!

After getting married on a K-1 visa, the next step is to file for adjustment of status (Form I-485) to obtain a green card. This involves submitting the necessary documentation, attending a biometrics appointment, and potentially attending an interview with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

For those who require additional information

After getting married on a K-1 visa, the next step is to file for adjustment of status (Form I-485) in order to obtain a green card and begin the path to permanent residency in the United States. This process is crucial for the K-1 visa holder to establish their legal presence and rights in the country.

To apply for adjustment of status, the K-1 visa holder, also known as the “beneficiary,” must submit the necessary documentation to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This includes completed forms, supporting evidence, and the required filing fees. The documentation typically includes:

  1. Form I-485: The Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.
  2. Form I-864: Affidavit of Support, which shows that the beneficiary will have adequate financial support.
  3. Form I-693: Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, proving that the beneficiary is in good health.
  4. Supporting documents: These may include a copy of the marriage certificate, passport-style photos, and copies of passports and visas.

Once the adjustment of status application is submitted, the beneficiary may be required to attend a biometrics appointment. During this appointment, fingerprints, photographs, and a signature will be taken for background checks. After biometrics are completed, USCIS will schedule an interview to further evaluate the adjustment of status application.

IT IS INTERESTING:  The Science Behind Attractive Smiles: Unveiling the Secrets to Captivating Grins

The interview is an essential part of the process, where the beneficiary and their U.S. citizen spouse, also known as the “petitioner,” will be questioned about their marriage and relationship. The purpose of the interview is to ensure the legitimacy of the marriage and to assess if the couple meets the requirements for granting a green card.

In the words of former U.S. President Ronald Reagan, “America represents something universal in the human spirit. I received a great deal of love and support from people all over the country when I was president. And I have always felt a need to give something back to this country that has given so much to me.” This quote highlights the importance of legal processes, such as adjusting status, in giving back to the country that has granted the opportunity for a new life together.

Interesting facts related to the topic:

  1. The K-1 visa, also known as the fiancé visa, allows a foreign fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married within 90 days.
  2. The adjustment of status process can take several months or even longer, depending on various factors and USCIS processing times.
  3. The granting of a green card through adjustment of status allows the K-1 visa holder to live and work legally in the United States.
  4. It is important to adhere to the immigration laws and regulations throughout the adjustment of status process to avoid any issues or delays.

Here’s an example table showcasing the required forms for adjustment of status:

Required Form Purpose
Form I-485 Application for adjustment of status
Form I-864 Affidavit of Support
Form I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
Other supporting documents Marriage certificate, passport photos, passport and visas copies, etc.
IT IS INTERESTING:  The Fascinating Story Behind the Pink Green Card: Unveiling the Mystery of Its Unexpected Color

Please note that the information provided is a general overview and it is advisable to consult with an immigration attorney or a reliable source for the most up-to-date and specific guidance regarding the adjustment of status process after getting married on a K-1 visa.

Video answer to “What to do after you get married on a K 1 visa?”

In this YouTube video, the YouTuber explains the important steps to take after entering the US with a K1 visa. These steps include applying for a Social Security number, getting married within the 90-day grace period, establishing a bona fide marriage with joint accounts and documents, documenting your life together as a married couple, applying for adjustment of status, obtaining a combo card, applying for removal of conditions on the green card, and eventually becoming eligible for US citizenship. The YouTuber emphasizes the importance of financial planning throughout the process and concludes the video by thanking viewers and encouraging them to stay tuned for the next video.

There are several ways to resolve your query

Once they marry, the K-1 visa holder must apply for an Adjustment of Status so as to keep legal status in the United States. After all, the K-1 visa holder is no longer a fiancé(e), but a spouse. Failing to marry will result in the sponsored fiancé/fiancée losing their K-1 status.

If you are issued a K-1 visa:

  • You must travel to the United States to marry your fiancé (e) within 90 days of arriving.
  • After you marry, you may apply for an adjustment of status to get a Permanent Resident (Green) Card.

The foreign national spouse should file the I-485 application after the marriage has occurred and within 90 days of stay to change their K-1 visa status. We strongly advise individuals to file within 90 days of stay to circumvent the accrual of an unlawful presence.

Rate article
Life in travel