Driving in Spain After Brexit: Unveiling the New Requirements for UK Citizens – Is a Green Card Necessary?

Yes, after Brexit, UK citizens will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in Spain, not a green card. The IDP can be obtained from the Post Office in the UK.

For more information, read on

After Brexit, UK citizens will indeed need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in Spain, rather than a green card. The IDP serves as an official translation of your UK driving license and is required alongside your UK license when driving in Spain. Obtaining an IDP is a relatively straightforward process and can be done through the Post Office in the UK.

To provide you with further information on this topic, here is a quote from Edmund King, the President of the Automobile Association (AA): “UK drivers looking to drive in Spain post-Brexit will need an International Driving Permit (IDP), which can be easily obtained from the Post Office.”

Here are some interesting facts related to driving in Spain after Brexit:

  1. Green cards are typically associated with motor insurance and were once used as proof of a minimum level of insurance coverage for UK drivers traveling within the EU. However, after Brexit, an IDP has replaced the need for a green card in Spain.

  2. The IDP is an internationally recognized document that translates your driving license into multiple languages. It contains information such as your personal details, driving categories, and validity periods.

  3. Spain is a popular destination for UK tourists, and having the correct documentation to drive there is essential. The IDP ensures that any potential language barriers or confusion can be avoided during roadside checks, making it easier for UK drivers to navigate Spanish roads.

  4. The requirement for an IDP in Spain after Brexit applies to residents as well as tourists, so it is important for UK citizens living in Spain to obtain this permit if they wish to drive legally.

IT IS INTERESTING:  Unveiling the Secrets: Discover How Much Commission Travel Agents Really Make on Cruises

Below is a table displaying the main differences between a green card and an International Driving Permit:

Green Card International Driving Permit (IDP)
Associated with motor insurance coverage Associated with the translation of driving licenses
Proof of minimum insurance level Proof of valid driving license in multiple languages
Addresses insurance-related issues Facilitates communication during international travel
No longer required in Spain after Brexit Required for UK drivers in Spain after Brexit

In conclusion, while a green card was once necessary for UK drivers in Spain, it has been replaced by the International Driving Permit post-Brexit. Obtaining an IDP from the Post Office before traveling to Spain will ensure a smoother driving experience abroad. Remember to check any updated requirements or regulations before your trip as rules may change over time.

This video has the solution to your question

The video provides information for non-EU citizens, including post-Brexit Brits, who want to move to Spain. They now require a special visa to work or start their own business, which includes the self-employment or non-lucrative visa. The former requires a strong business plan, finances, and a benefit to the local community, while the latter demands over €27,000 in passive income or savings with no right to work. The speaker advises applicants to plan carefully, show enough finances, and obtain temporary residency, which can be made permanent after five years. Finally, the video offers recommendations on supporting their work and further watching or visiting their website to learn more.

See more answers from the Internet

Do I need a Green Card to drive in the EU? No. A Green Card was needed to drive in the EU straight after Brexit, but this is no longer the case. You don’t need to carry a Green Card if you’re driving in the EU (including Ireland), Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia or Andorra.

As of August 2, 2021, drivers don’t need to carry an insurance green card when taking their vehicle into Spain. This applies to all the European Union countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, and Switzerland. The requirement for drivers to obtain the ‘Green Card’ from insurers was previously a requirement after the Brexit transition period expired at the start of 2021.

Rate article
Life in travel